To qualify for naturalization, you must have held your green card for 4 years and 9 months. Those who obtained resident status through marriage to a US citizen or as a victim of abuse by their US citizen spouse, can apply after 2 years and 9 months. You must prove good moral character for the last 5 years as well as continuous residence in the US. 

A list of recommended documents for naturalization

  • A copy of the front AND back of your residency card
  • Copies of your federal income taxes from the last three years
  • If you have ever been arrested, a certified copy of the case disposition report.  This may normally be obtained from the criminal clerk’s office located at the courthouse where you made your court appearance
  • A completed, accurate biographic form which we provide you
  • A copy of your valid, unexpired passport and any prior passports
  • A copy of your birth certificate, with translation
  •  A copy of your marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Copies of any divorce decrees or death certificates, if applicable, terminating ALL previous marriages
  • Copies of your children's' birth certificates, if applicable
  • Two color, passport-style photographs taken per USCIS specifications
  • Filing fee of $680.00 payable to "USCIS" and legal fee